Thursday, 15 January 2015

Home Sweet Home

I kind of like January. The start of a New Year brings new goals and adventure. I know it's dark and dreary but there's something relaxing about it. Evenings become your own and new projects spring to mind. 

I'm working on a Hand Sewn Quilt at the moment, it's actually called Home Sweet Home. I thought it'd be a great Project to have finished for the Spring (fingers crossed there). It focuses on a new type of appliqué I've not tried before. You use a backing fabric and top fabric. Pin them facing each other, stitch around the shape, make a slit in the back and turn it the right way out. It gives you a seamed edge which is then sewn with an invisible stitch. Brilliant results.





This month my Window is focusing on 'Home Sweet Home' and making your house a home over these winter months. My Cottage Bunting was machine sewn. I then appliquéd the cottage fronts using scraps of fabric, vintage lace and ribbons. I loved working on these in the evenings, satisfyingly using bits from my scrap bag.




Whilst helping my sister in law move I'd spotted my nieces old dolls house. It looked like some of the Appliqué Cottages I'd made. Inside was all the furniture. My mind went in to over drive thinking of all the little pillows and quilts I could make from that ever building scrap bag.









I've placed traditional Red Fabrics with Naturals & the lovely 'Field Guide' Collection. This works so well for the Home. I've displayed the Patchwork Quilted Cushions made using these fabrics. You can make your own at the Sew Now Classes.




This beautifully restored Sewing Box was made by Lou at Fox Hollies. It's available for £30.00 




- This Hexagon Bunting was so quick and easy to make 
Get booked on the Sew Now sessions to make yours - 


I really want to focus on making my house a home, unique to me and my family. Something that reflects our personalities and interests. I remember visiting a relatives home. Their bookcases, music collection & pictures that were displayed was true to them. It reflected them as a family something I want to do in my own home. So it's patchwork cushions for the room and bunting in the Hallway. 


- Happy New Year - 



No comments:

Post a Comment